Monday, August 16, 2010

The Projections 2010

After a long and slightly drawn out start to the Projections 2010, the request for competition entries has now come and gone in a bit of a whirlwind. Hundreds of people have again submitted entries to the various categories, and submitted concepts to the $10,000 grant supported by "The Pool".

With entries for this years "Projections" competition now closed. I thought I might show you my competition entry for this year.

I've called this series "Depression".

"Depression" is a series of self-portraits designed to encapsulate the emotions people suffer through when battling with this debilitating mental illness.
Shot in and around several empty car parks, the purpose is to provide a sense of being along in a stark and desolate place, as well as using a common emotion connected with depression, of feeling as if you cannot be heard, as if you are a ghost.



Depression is one of the most common of all mental health problems. One in five people experience depression at some stage of their lives. Around one million Australian adults and 100,000 young people live with depression each year.


The concept of creating a ghostly image is something I had been playing with for a few months. I had two different ideas for the Projections this year, both centering around the same kind of locations I shot the depression series in. Shooting these kinds of placed took me back to when I first started shooting. I loved finding these big, empty areas in the late evening/night. With each shot I took I wondered if anyone was watching those security cameras that were pointed in my direction, if I'd get asked to move along... it makes you want to get the shot right within the first few clicks!

On other news, I have two or three assisting gigs lined up! Its taken a few weeks, more than a few coffees,  and a few headache tablets to get my name out there to as many people as I can, but finally starting to get a response is a real breath of fresh air. I just want to be out there and working more!

No comments:

Post a Comment